
Our Monarch caterpillar is still hanging in there. Literally, today. Mom found him on the underside of a milkweed leaf today. Seriously this guy loves eating more than we cats do! You can't see it here but some of the other leaves are full of holes.
Munch, munch, munch all day long on the leaves.
He is really fat & juicy looking now and he waves his long antennas all over the place.
Our friend Spitty posed an intriguing question. What if these things are nommable and tasty?

Well, our neighbor Beth who is the expert on these guys says eating the milkwood leaves makes them taste disgusting to the birds so they are left alone. That's why monarchs only lay their eggs on milkweed. So that is the answer for birds. But yesterday and today mom could only find one caterpillar (there were 3) so maybe some kind of bird eats them. But cats??? Hmmm. I don't think I want to chance it. I'll wait until after they emerge from the chrysalis. Then you have a challenging toy and a nice protein snack all in one. I love to nom butterflies, but if mom sees me trying to get one she will try to "rescue" it from my gaping jaws of death. I get to have all the dragonflies I want, however. -Scout
18 Comments:
Uh oh, I hope the other monarchs-to-be just found a place that is hidden.
And Scout, my money's on them not tasting very good to cats, either. I think they might be like ants--fun to play with but way too bitter to eat!
Scout...I would say give them a break this time. They wouldn't taste good anyway. xoxox
We don't know about Monarch caterpillars, but cabbage white caterpillars taste disgusting. I chewed one when I was young and nasty green stuff squirted everywhere and made me yak. I wait until they are butterflies now.
Flynn
I am sure they taste better all grown up. I bet they taste like moths, only sweeter!
I think you are smart to go waiting for them to change. I wonder where the caterpillars all went?
For treats, we'll stick to Temptations!
We agree with the consensus. Leave them alone, because there are much tastier things out there.
I've raised these in my classroom with my students. Always a cool thing to do. Make sure you look at the chrysalis when it forms. Almost gem-like.
I think the monarchs still have the milkweed chemistry after the metamorphosis, so they're still pretty nasty to nom. Might not want to try them Ol' Scout. =P
Gotta let them ripen.
heh heh
; ) Katie
We hope you get butterflys.
Watch out, Scout. When she was just a kitten, the Human's Dad told her them dragonflies sew your ears shut. ::shudder::
Well, guess *sumbuddy* thinks those things are nommy.
I hope the other caterpillars are just hiding. I think you are smart to wait until they turn into butterflies to try to nom them, Scout. They are much more fun that way, too.
Herman
Katie's comment cracked me up!
Us too!
Thanks for offering to harbor me if I have to hide from my royal enemies! And say, it *would* be nice to meet Zolie....
Didja get that last one yet, Boys?
I imagine they taste pretty bad. And you know bad taste makes your mouth foam, and we don't want that. Good luck catching dragonflies.
--Jasper
Good things come to those that wait. Or so I hear.
Post a Comment
<< Home