Little Cat Feet

"The fog comes on little cat feet. It sits looking over the harbor and city on silent haunches, and then, moves on." - Carl Sandburg

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States

Shaggy and his littermate brother Scooby came to live with us in October 2005, when they were 5 years old. Scout arrived in 2006 at the age of 6 weeks. Scooby passed over very suddenly to the Rainbow Bridge on April 1, 2012 and is remembered fondly and missed deeply.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Scooby

Yesterday morning I was having a nice nap when I was ambushed my the woman. She swept me up & out into the car where the dreaded cat carrier was waiting. I've been having trouble peeing and keep running to the litter box trying to go.
Sure enough, destination: V-e-t!
I put on my attitude as soon as I got there. I must show them that it is I, not they who are in charge.
I was lucky to get nice Dr. Rich but he grabbed my middle and started feeling up my belly squeezing like you wouldn't believe! He announced my bladder wasn't distended so that means it isn't obstructed.
He wanted to keep me for the morning to try to get a urine sample from me. When I heard they wanted to sedate me if I didn't cooperate so they could slip in a catheter, I peed for them after they wrangled with me for awhile. Let me tell you they didn't get it without a challenge!
They found it was highly concentrated, had some blood in it and crystals.
Meanwhile I had to sit in a cage enduring the taunts of the office cat Hairy Potter. Mom finally came to get me at noon and they gave her antibiotics to give me (mom expects more cat wrangling to give me those,) and some special food for dissolving crystals to eat for 2-3 weeks.
Then I have to go back for another check up.
So that's whats happening friends.
Any other cats out there have crystals? Any advice for mom or me?
-Scooby

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, poor you, Scooby. I had cystitis last munth and I was in and out of thuh litter tray every 2 minutes, but I couldn't "go". I had to have Aunti Biotic to make it betta, and eventually it was orlright. I don't "do" pills you know, so they had to giv me long acting injectshuns. I will be purrin' for you.

5/19/07, 1:21 PM  
Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Oh Scooby, I'm sorry to hear you had to go to the vet and that you have crystals. I hope the food works to dissolve them! Sending some healing purrs your way.

5/19/07, 1:21 PM  
Blogger The Lee County Clowder said...

Ouch. Hoping the antibiotics and special food does its stuff for you, Scooby.

Puurrss...

5/19/07, 4:20 PM  
Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

oh Scooby - at least they caught it in time. Grampa Norton almost died from crystals when he was 4 - he hadded to haf 'mergency sergery and then hadded to eat speshul food for the rest of his life. Hopefully the anty-biotiks will werk. Tell your mom to get food wif low magnesum in it for you (about 4%-5%). it will help keep crystals from forming

5/19/07, 7:23 PM  
Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

We are all gurl cats and Momma says they don't get them as often as boy cats do. I know there is speshul fud out there cuz Momma got some by mistake (Purina) instead of our other stuff. We will be purraying hard for you.

Patches

5/19/07, 11:06 PM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

You have to be careful as to which special food you feed depending on whether the crystals are oxalite or struvite. And, since you're only supposed to be on it for 2-3 weeks, then it's the kind of food that you aren't supposed to be on forever. We found that out one time with one of our male cats. Just have your Mom ask about your ongoing diet when you go back for your checkup.

Bow used to develop crystals frequently because he is on prednisolone and when Maw would give him Pounce treats. She finally figured out it was the Pounce treats and hasn't given them to him anymore. He hasn't had crystals in a very long time, knock on wood.

Obi gets bladder infections because he's very sensitive and doesn't do well under stress. He already had the penile urethrostomy and so he gets put on pred when he starts hitting the litter box every 10 minutes.

Hopefully, this will be a one time deal. Just watch his litter box habits and if he starts hitting the box every 2 minutes again, rush him in. As long as drops are coming out, he isn't blocked and you've caught it in time. Once they totally block, it's a life threatening situation.

Luf, Maw

5/20/07, 10:29 AM  
Blogger DK & The Fluffies said...

Oh Honey, I'm glad to hear you are doing ok. DKM said your mom might want to try to increase your water intake by mixing some in your food.

Please take your pills and when you are feeling better you can come visit for Salmon. DKM promised!

5/20/07, 3:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow, we is feelin very lucky right now that arent havin that problem. But the V-E-T said last time he's going to be watching our kidneys (we don't know how he is doin that cause we can't smell him in the cave anywhere).

So maybe we will be finding out some problems in a future visit.

5/20/07, 8:58 PM  
Blogger Parker said...

I hope you feel better and those awful crystals go away! Try to drink more water!

5/21/07, 5:28 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Yeah, we didn't know that opossums had such huge teeth either!!!

And we're very happy that Scooby is doing much better in the pee dept.

Luf, Us

5/21/07, 11:31 AM  
Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

hey Slick, you take care. i totally blocked and had to go to the 'mergency vet, which you don't want to do 'cause they cost lots and lots of money, but my Mom was happy to pay it 'cause they fixed me. i had to go on special food, which i'm still on now, four years later. i also had to have surgery for stones a year after i blocked. not fun. so just make sure your Mom feeds you what you're 'sposed to eat and drink lotsa water and you should be okay.

5/21/07, 9:32 PM  
Blogger Lux said...

I had to have a bladder stone removed because I was peeing blood - it was a struvite one (meaning my urine was too alkaline). It wasn't fun; I feel for you.

Mom changed my food to mostly raw, and she always adds distilled water to whatever I eat. Plus that's what she puts in the water bowl mostly.

I hope you feel better soon!

So far, so good, but she keeps an eye on my bathroom habits.

5/22/07, 1:46 AM  
Blogger The Furry Kids said...

Scooby we hope you feel better soon. When EG had to get his medicine, Momma wrapped him in a big, fluffy towel and then shot the pills down his throat with a pill shooter. It really saved her fingers. Take all your medicines and get rid of those crystals.

Love,
Tazo

5/22/07, 8:18 AM  
Blogger Mr. Hendrix said...

Poor Scooby. That sounds awfully traumatic. VET trips are never fun. We agree with Taxo, get a pill shooter, they are only like $5 (mommy got mine at the VET). It is truely a Godsend as wrestling with me to take pill was awful for all concerned (and dangerous).
Scooby, you be a good kitty and take all your medicine so you can feel all better faster.

5/22/07, 8:50 AM  
Blogger The Tower Hill Mob said...

We have never had this problem personally, but our cousin Kainui has a crystal tendency. His Mum gives him special food and makes sure he gets plenty of water. He does OK, but she worries.
Hope you feel better.

5/22/07, 12:31 PM  
Blogger jenianddean said...

That's some tough news. Changing food on you ... ugh! At least the antibiotics will taste like bubble gum, so that's something. Hope everything is improving quickly for you...
--Jasper

5/22/07, 12:37 PM  
Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

That's not been a problem in our family, so I can't give you any Wm. Wisdom. But I'm glad to hear this wasn't too terribly terrible and hope that you get back 100% soon!

5/22/07, 2:36 PM  
Blogger Jack, Persephone, Tenzing and Lancelot said...

I have that problem. I've been on special foods for 9 of my 10 years.

There's two kinds of special foods. One dissolves the crystals, and one keeps you from getting them back. The one that's for dissolving them is the one you shouldn't eat too long, 'cause you could get the other kind of crystals because of it.

But be careful. Some of the special foods for crystals are on the recall list too.

More water helps. My first vet got my OTW to feed me more canned food and add water to it, and keep several bowls of fresh water out, and if I want to drink out of the taps I should be allowed, and recently, 'cause my OTW didn't want to feed us crunchies with grains, she switched us to Orijen. She says the no-grain types are supposed to keep kitties from getting crystals too, 'cause it's probably food full of stuff that we're not really supposed to eat that makes us sick, but she says she's not a vet, so you should ask your vet about this.

And she says your mom should always keep checking every once in a while when you go to the box and listen to see if you're peeing ok. Which is really annoying. Just 'cause I watch her pee, doesn't mean I want her to watch me pee.

She also says I get lethargic and a bit cranky when I'm starting to have problems, but she doesn't know if all cats do. But when we stop peeing ok, we've usually had the problem for a while, so checking how we're peeing and whether we're cranky or not is a good idea.

I hope you get better quick. Did they give you valium? I get valium sometimes when I can't pee and it's fun!! It's like I'm a kitten again! Well, except I also get the munchies and eat a lot of kibble.

5/23/07, 8:13 PM  
Blogger caspersmom said...

Gee Scooby, I sure hope you are feeling better. Gizmo went to the vet yesterday. He's peeing just fine, a little to fine, all over the rug and Mom is fit to be tied. Mom thought something was wrong with him but he's a healthy cat, no bladder infection. Mom is going to try what the vet says cause if he don't quit, Dad says he goes, and that makes Mom cry.

Casper

5/23/07, 10:49 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

ooooeeeew pee crystals.. We bet those are pretty like some crystals. We hopes you gets to feeling better quick Scooby ~Poiland tribe

5/28/07, 2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home