Little Cat Feet

"The fog comes on little cat feet. It sits looking over the harbor and city on silent haunches, and then, moves on." - Carl Sandburg

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States

Shaggy and his littermate brother Scooby came to live with us in October 2005, when they were 5 years old. Scout arrived in 2006 at the age of 6 weeks. Scooby passed over very suddenly to the Rainbow Bridge on April 1, 2012 and is remembered fondly and missed deeply.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Update on Scout

Scouts temp was 105 this morning so I took him back in to the vet.
He slept all through the night but was still quite weak. Doctor says it is a massive bacterial infection of unknown origin.
They gave him more fluids and a shot of corticosteroids which was an emergency method to intervene to bring down the fever. And another shot of antibiotics.
Dr. Rick said with a fever that high and for this long it becomes like a case of heat exhaustion and he needs to be kept cool. Scout stayed at the hospital all day in a cage with a cool stainless steel floor. They wrapped up a couple ice packs in a towel and put them in the corner and they reported that he went right to them and laid down. Said he was a very good patient and very sweet. Even though they kept poking his butt to take his temperature all day!
I picked him up at 4:30 and his temp was back to 101...normal range for a cat.
I must still monitor his temp at home and I switched on the a/c for him so hopefully I can keep him comfortable. I also have ice packs if need be for him to have in his bed.
He needs to take his antibiotic pills for 10 days. I worry because we are going out of town Thursday afternoon until Sunday. But college boy (Age 22) will be home (in & out) and I have asked a neighbor lady who is also experienced in giving cat meds to her own cats to come over and check him and give him his pills. We are going home for our 30th high school reunion and now I'm going to worry the whole time!
Thank you every cat and every one for the kind comments you left for us and if you don't mind could you still keep us in your thoughts & prayers. And if you could, also say a little blessing for those wonderful vets we all have that take such good care of our little friends.
-Mom

28 Comments:

Blogger Just Ducky said...

That is good news that Scout is beginning to feel better. Maybe the A/C and ice packs will help. Will keep purring for all of you.

Mum says have fun at your reunion.

7/17/07, 6:54 PM  
Blogger Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Phew, at least his temp is back to normal. We'll keep purraying fur him.

7/17/07, 7:22 PM  
Blogger Parker said...

Bless Scout's heart! I am glad his temp is down. We will keep praying!

7/17/07, 8:04 PM  
Blogger LZ said...

I'm so glad he's back to normal! I've had my share of random infections...NOT fun. I almost died twice. I'm sure that the antibiotics will fix him right up! I'm sure he'll be in great hands while you're away.

Latte

7/17/07, 8:33 PM  
Blogger Samantha & Mom said...

We are so glad Scout is better and we will keep purrrring and purrayering for him!! Keep cool!!
Your FL furiends,
Samantha & Tigger

7/17/07, 8:39 PM  
Blogger Marilynn said...

Grace & crew will be purring and I will be praying that Scout takes his pills well and recovers nicely ... and that Mom doesn't spend the whole reunion worrying (although we completely understand, of course). Sounds as if Scout is on the mend.

Purrrrrs and purrayers...

7/17/07, 8:44 PM  
Blogger Mr. Hendrix said...

thank goodness he is home and doing better. mommy here: i know what you mean about worrying when you're gone and although he'll miss you maybe the quiet will help him rest. Make sure you tell him how many lights (days) until you get back. The animal communicator we've used for years (since one of our woofies went to the Bridge and his litter brother - both rescued after being dumped outside a shelter and completely inseperable - was mourning) that we've used on Hendrix told us that is very important when the humans go away. The animals don't understand day & night, but do "light & dark." She says when you talk to them, turn off all the noises in the house and get down on their level and talk to them. It does work for Hendrix.
You may want to get some Comfort Zone or Feliway plug ins. Our vet recommends those for Hendrix (he gets stressed easily) and they really do help especially when we go away, work alot or are just stressed in general.
Sorry to ramble, I just know it is hard to leave them when they're feeling fine so these little things may help keep you & Scout from being so worried.

Take care and we will totally keep you all in our prayers until he is totally out of the woods and you are home safe & sound too. Have fun at the reunion!

7/17/07, 9:05 PM  
Blogger Milton said...

I'm still purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrin' for ya!
---Beezer

7/17/07, 9:08 PM  
Blogger Max said...

Oh no...I missed it yesterday and didn't know Scout was so sick. I hope he keeps feeling better and better. I know he's Buddah's age but in my head he's still a kitten and kittens aren't supposed to get sick!

7/17/07, 9:46 PM  
Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Scout - feel better soon buddy!!

Mommy used to take The One Who Came Before everywhere with her because he needed medi-k-shuns every day and he would only take them for her. She used to sneak him into hotel rooms (bad bad mommy). Hopefully his temperature will stay down and by the time you leave you will feel better about leaving him.

7/17/07, 10:08 PM  
Blogger Zoey and the furballs said...

We're so happy that there's good news about Scout. We'll be praying that the antibiotics take care of all the infection and he can put this all behind him with good health!

7/17/07, 11:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Jo said...

I am glad that the vet was able to get Scout's temperature down and that he is home again. I'm sure the antibiotics will knock out that nasty bacteria and he will start to improve very quickly. It's good that you have a neighbor lady who is good at giving medicine to cats to treat him while you are away. I'm so sorry that this had to happen now and put a damper on your reunion. I hope you manage to enjoy yourself anyway. I will keep praying for Scout.

7/18/07, 2:06 AM  
Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Poor Scout. :( I am keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad that the ice packs are helping to keep him cool.

I'm glad to hear you have a nice neighbour who is used to giving cats pills. I hope Scout feels better soon! Sending lots of prayers and healing purrs his way. I will also say a blessing for your vet's and their staff.

7/18/07, 3:39 AM  
Blogger Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Hi Pals - I am not sure what kind of Vet you have but 101 is NOT good for a Kitty Cat. 94 to 96 is the regular temp for a kitty. So 101 is awful high in our opinions. Not to be alarming, but that just aint right when normal ranges 96 degrees ....

I don't know but that worries us....since TeaCup went from one extrememe to the other ... we are worry bugs. Awww double check...

And you know what ever may happen while you are away is what is destined, so do not fret.

Have a good time and we look forward to updates.

Purrs

7/18/07, 4:07 AM  
Blogger Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Forgive us.... it is 101 NORMAL for a kitty cat. I guess with my grief over TeaCup I just went wonky in the head and had to go check.. I knew something was weird but your temp of 101 is what a kitty should be. I dont know why I was so daft and forgot. Oh My Word we are embarassed.

Still - we watched those temps up and down and I guess I just had so many numbers in my brain....

Scout is great at 101.
SORRY please forgive us

It's been a bad few months for us lol// LOVE and forgiveness

HUGS and scritches
megan and those rotten cats

7/18/07, 4:17 AM  
Blogger The Furry Kids said...

We're glad to hear that Scout's temperature is down and we hope that the bad germs go away so he can feel good again. We're sending lots of pawsitive thoughts and purrayers for all of you.

7/18/07, 9:41 AM  
Blogger Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

We are very glad Scout's temperature is down. We are purring that the antibiotics make him feel all the way better quickly.

7/18/07, 9:49 AM  
Blogger Shilgiah the Cat said...

Glad his temp is down to kitty normal. Thank goodness for wonderful caring vets. It also sounds like you have a wonderful neighbor who will look after your little Scout while you are at your reunion. Try not to worry too much. Maybe your boy can call and give you daily updates to help you feel better. Or maybe Scooby and Shaggy to text message you while you're gone. Hahahaha.

7/18/07, 10:06 AM  
Blogger Smeagol and Strider, Mystery (Sunnin' at the Bridge) and Gizmo too! said...

We're glad to hear that Scout's doin' better, we'll keep purrin' and purrayin' that he feels better soon! Also, purrs for the nice v-e-t people !

7/18/07, 11:26 AM  
Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We is so happy that Scout is doing so much better...oh we can do our happy dance! YAY for Scout. Keep on feeling better and better and don't forgets to take your meds so that you'll be all well in no time.

Purrs
~Abby

7/18/07, 12:14 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I am very relieved that Scout is doing better. I am going to keep purring for him until he is completely well.

7/18/07, 12:17 PM  
Blogger Hot(M)BC said...

We're furry glad you temperature is down, Scout! Meddycines aren't much fun, but they'll get you all better soon! We'll keep purring lots for you til you're all well.
Purrrrrrrrrrrrs,
Sanjee, Boni Maroni, Mini, Gree and Pepi

7/18/07, 12:41 PM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Oh bless his little heart!!! We sure hope he gets over his infection really soon! Maw would be worried sick too. Thankfully your neighbor knows how to give kitty meds. It's not always easy! We'll keep Scout in our thoughts and keep sending him lots of purrs and headbutts.

Luf, Us

7/18/07, 12:49 PM  
Blogger Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

We are so happy to see Scout is back at home!
My sisfur Sara has to have a hyper-T pill efury day. It's small enuf for Mom to put in a bit of stinky food and little Sara gobbles it up without knowing she's getting pilled :)

Try to have a good time at your reunion, we think College Boy and Neighbor Lady will do fine!

~Maggie Mae

7/18/07, 1:04 PM  
Blogger jenianddean said...

We are so happy to hear that Scout seems to be on the mend. Hopefully those antibiotics will do the trick for him. You're fortunate to have someone who can help out. We'll keep him in our prayers.
--Jasper

7/18/07, 1:48 PM  
Blogger Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Yes misinformation comes in my head a lot! hahaha! I know what you mean, ok now get up and let's play - we expect these babies to be normal again when the pills are given or a sign of getting better pops up. Time is the only thing we can count on and it certainly has it's own schedule.

We worry always, so we will with you! You are not alone in that department! Let us know how sweet baby Scout is doing!

Purrs and Purrs

7/18/07, 3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Best purrs and licks to Scout for a full recovery from the hurty things... It sounds scarey.

We hate to say it, but sometimes the V-E-T can do good things even if we hate them at the time..

7/18/07, 8:31 PM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Checking in to see how Scout is doing. Sending lots of purrs and hedbutts.

Luf, Us

7/19/07, 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home